Focus on ONE Thing
When I’ve worked with clients who seemed overwhelmed or truly had a lot on their plate, my best piece of advice has always been…
‘Focus on 1 thing.’
Basically, when everything is going a million miles per hour around you, it’s pretty easy to look up at the end of the day and see that you’re no closer to being happier or healthier than you were when the day started.
So rather than try to do a bunch of different things to improve, focus on ONE thing that will move you closer to your goals.
Now I’m not talking about the daily responsibilities of going to work, paying bills and taking care of your kids. Those are things that must be done.
But beyond that, make sure that you do ONE thing that makes you better and/or happier … and moves you closer to your goals.
What do I mean?
- Be more engaged at meal time with how you are eating and who you are eating with.
- Apply something new that you have learned.
- Drink more water.
- Create a sleep ritual and stick to it.
- Move meaningfully and with a purpose for 20 minutes or more.
- Make each meal a little bit better … swap out starches for an extra serving of veggies, for example.
Even if the improvement is small, the power of this approach is big.
There is a compounding effect. Small successes build confidence, shape habits and set you up for bigger wins down the road.
So if you ever get overwhelmed with all there is to do (I know I do), then this is where I would start.
Focus on ONE thing at a time.
Coach Dom Lucibello