Take A “Just A Little Better” Approach For Fat Loss And Fitness In 2019
Momentum is a powerful force. A new year brings excitement and drive. Let’s take advantage of this force by going about things with a “just a little better” approach.
Everything starts with a first step. It doesn’t matter if you are at the beginning of a quest or have been on the path for some time.
What is your current step one?
Create a list of 1-3 first steps that will get you “just a little better” this month.
My 3 things are:
Limiting bread, pasta wheat products. My step one is limiting them to 3 servings a week.
- That’s a slice of whole wheat toast.
- A beer(liquid bread).
- A serving of Trisquits.
I’m not going all in because that’s not necessary. I’m controlling consumption to a level that will satisfy and help me reach my goals.
My goal and your goal might be completely different. Maybe you are at a place where you are eating 20 servings of processed bread/wheat type products a week.
If that’s the case, 20 down to 3 is more than “just a little”. Step one might be 20 to 10 for the next month. Changing this habit by half will have a dramatic effect. KNOW your step one!
My step one is limiting consumption. My plan is to drink one day a week. This will be tough, but I know I can do it, for I have fought this battle before.
It you drink two glasses of wine a night, going to one glass a night would be a good step one. Every other night could be a good plan as well.
My meal planning strategy for the last few weeks can be wrapped up in two words -Search and Destroy!
- Hickory farms beef sticks in the cross hairs- destroy!
- Champagne with a splash of OJ – destroy!
- Chicken and veggies for dinner? Bump that, I want a burger smothered in mushrooms, Swiss and a side of tots – destroy!
Search in destroy never works
Put together some kind of system, then take the next step.
Example- Monday night is stir fry night.
What do I need?
- Protein- chicken steak pork….
- Vegetables – whatever it is you eat.
- Controlled portion of rice- one cupped handful.
- Dom’s stir fry sauce
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Tbls corn starch
- Tbls honey
- Tbls sesame seed oil
- Tbls rice vinegar
- Tbls grated ginger ( or more)
- 2 garlic cloves finely minced.
Whisk together. Makes 1.5 cups.
Full meal planning system
- Stir fry night
- One skillet night
- Instapot/crock pot/ air fryer night
- Roast/stews/meatloaf/ large cuts
- Fish/seafood night
- Grill night 2x per week –Simple stuff like chicken breast marinated in salt, pepper , cumin, paprika, oil and lime juice- grilled and smothered in sautéed onions or mushrooms. Served with more veggies.
Choose 1-3 things to focus on and find your step one. Hammer away at it until it’s a habit. Fresh Year, Fresh Start!