Why Focusing On Habits Is The Best Approach For Fat Loss
If I asked you to list the first four criteria that come to your mind for living a healthy lifestyle, what would they be?
Mine would be:
- Don’t smoke tobacco
- Eat five servings of vegetables/fruits daily.
- Exercise five times a week for 30 minutes.
- Maintain a healthy bodyweight.
Would you believe me if I told you only 3% of North Americans were doing this 4-part combination of basic healthy lifestyle tasks. Well, I wish it wasn’t true.
Here is what I know:
- Cookie-cutter diet plans can work for short periods of time, but almost never long-term.
- There are many ways to lose “weight”. Chopping off a limb is one way. Any takers? It’s not weight we want to lose, it’s FAT.
- The hardest part about fat loss is keeping it off.
- Nutrition that works for life is built on basic principles. They aren’t sexy or flashy, but this is where success happens.
- Diets do not work because:
- They don’t take YOUR life into consideration, so it set unrealistic expectations.
- The diet knew nothing of your eating habits and behaviors that have formed since childhood.
- The diet knows nothing about what food is to your family or culture.
Factors (with examples) that are involved in maintaining a healthy bodyweight
- Food choices – too many processed foods, getting dehydrated, drinking too much alcohol…..
- Eating behaviors – eating too quickly, irregular eating habits, over-eating……
- Exercise and activity – getting enough regular physical exercise, over-training and not managing training loads.
- Recovery – not getting enough sleep or adequate nutrients…
- Mindset/psychology – all-or-nothing thinking(yo-yo dieting, either I’m perfect or I failed…)
- Life skills – basic food preparation, shopping and food awareness….
- Environment – unsupportive social networks (family, friends, coworkers), an environment that requires too much active “willpower” and mental strength….
You need a plan that is right for you. A plan based around mastering fundamentals.
- You don’t have to do everything at once to get results.
- Everything is not so broken that it can’t possibly be fixed.
- You do not need a complicated plan.
- We need to get VERY clear on what, exactly, you want to do.
- Focus on one SMALL thing at a time.
- Play the long game – If you want the fat to stay gone for good, it takes time.
- Keep it simple.
- Start at the beginning (you may not currently know where to start).
Nutrition Coaching (How we can help)
- Listen and understand, so we can help you clearly identify your goals.
- Create an action plan together. This is a collaborative approach.
- Hold you accountable to your daily tasks – using technology and software we will be able to communicate daily.
- Choose (together) when it’s time to move on to the next action step.
- Track and monitor progress.
- Help with problem-solving.
As a Precision Nutrition ProCoach, I have the tools and knowledge to help you succeed at fat loss. But, since this is a new service, I also want to make sure we deliver on value and exceed your expectations.
To make sure we deliver, we are only opening up 6 spots to those willing, ready and able to try a new approach to fat loss.
Starts June 10th!
If you are interested in nutrition coaching, text me (Coach Dom) at 407-350-8080. Please provide your full name.
I look forward to being your coach and teammate!