I’m a close second to Olaf when it comes to summer. Who’s Olaf? Well, he’s the snowman in the Disney movie Frozen that I have seen ohhhh, 66 times, thanks to my little girl. Don’t let me fool you, it gets better every time!
Like Olaf, it’s easy to shut your eyes and dream of summer. There you are chilling on the beach or a raft in your pool with a cold beverage. Next weekend you might find yourself at a theme park. A month from now it’s cousin Vinny’s big 4th of July party with gourmet wieners and cocktails. Summer is meant to be enjoyed. That doesn’t mean all of your hard work and healthy habits have to migrate north until Fall arrives. Here is your summer checklist to help guide you through.
- Follow the 90/10 nutrition rule– 90% of your calories come from healthy foods. This leaves 10% to use on whatever you desire. If you eat approximately 1,500 calories a day, that would be 150 cals a day or 1,050 for the week. Now you know cousin Vinny puts out a nice spread of food and makes a mean mojito, so it would be wise to save up your calories that week for the big party (no different than an off day on the MTM plan).
- Think like an elite athlete and focus on performance. Fat loss isn’t easy and it shouldn’t always be your goal. If you are a member of Breakthrough Fitness, you are in the last week of The Muffin Top Meltdown Challenge. You put in a lot of work to lose those inches and pounds. Let’s keep those results. For the next month or two maintain your new body and focus on improving your lunge depth, increasing your push ups, pull ups or running a 5k. Athletes train to improve their performance at a specific sport. The by product happens to be an aesthetically pleasing physique.
- Plan ahead – Your family vacation has been planned for sometime. The weeks leading up to it you should have a strict regimen of workouts and nutrition. While on vacation continue to start your day off with high protein breakfast. If you enjoy adult beverages, have your water consumption = your alcohol consumption.
- Be the hostess with the most-est – If you are throwing the gig why not serve better food? I’m thinking chicken and steak kabobs with vegetables. Smoked pulled pork and chicken. Hummus, guacamole, black bean salsa and fresh fruit. Maybe a twist on your classic potato salad or try making tabbouleh (Ta-bool – e) or a healthy dish that might become your signature item. There are lot’s of refreshing sangria’s and punches that can keep the party pumping as well.
- Five active days a week– They can be gym sessions, light jogs, walks on the beach or a 15 minute bodyweight circuit (see video). Just KEEP MOVING!
- Laugh, be happy and enjoy life- We train and eat right to make the quality of our lives better. Celebrate your efforts.
See you at the gym!